Tuesday, July 14, 2020

On this day in 2006, Arena told contract would not be renewed

❌ | πŸ“… #OnThisDay in 2️⃣‪0️⃣‪0️⃣6️⃣‬

The news broke that Bruce Arena, who just managed the USMNT through two World Cup cycles, would not have his contract renewed, thus ending his time as manager. Sunil Gulati, who was elected USSF president last March, said in a conference call the world-wide search for a manager would start. Arena's (first) tenure ends with a 71-30-29 record and that memorial summer of 2002.'

“I am proud of how far the organization has come over the last eight years and I am extremely optimistic about the future of the sport in our country,” Arena said in a statement released by the federation today. “As for me, I am planning to take some time off to weigh my future opportunities.”
NY Times

Embed from Getty Images

All match reports and stories posted to Twitter. Follow at @usmnt_historian

No comments:

Post a Comment